June 28

Please pardon the back dated entries for the next week or so…I not only don’t have electricity or running water, I don’t have ANY cell signal at the Cabin.

June 28:  Whew, talk about a long day… I worked my usual 10-hour day, stopping on the way home to fill up my gas tank and grab a couple of last minute groceries.  At home, I packed my cooler with frozen water bottles (instead of loose ice – in a few days I’ll have ice water to drink), veggies, some cooked chicken, salad dressing, blue cheese, and some cubed cheese. 

Then I began loading everything into my car.  I took a long lunch yesterday to go visit my friends at Alaska Steel, where I picked up a couple of 4’ lengths of stout rebar to be used as a shore anchor for the new dock.  I also have some pre-cut plywood panels that I hope to use to make a box to store the new toilet in the off season.  Once the cooler and the new groceries were piled on top of these items in the back of my car, it looked like I hadn’t just done two big dry-goods runs! 

Last but not least I dressed Mr. Chitters in his new purple collar and tucked him into his carrier.  On the recommendation of a friend (per her veterinarian) who had recently travelled with her cat, I gave him ½ of a children’s Benadryl as soon as I got home.  (He told me in no uncertain terms what he thinks about grape flavored Benadryl!)  While it didn’t make him loopy and sleepy as it did her cat (who weighs less than half of what Chitters weighs…) it did help to calm him a bit.  The hour and a half drive up into the mountains was much quieter than in years past.

So many pictures of this view in my collection…and everyone is different!

As I had planned, we didn’t get to the camp parking lot until after 9pm so it was fairly quiet.  I carried a single tote bag with my camera and journal, put a leash on Chitters and we headed up the trail…sort of.  I still had to carry him a few times when he would get confused or skittish, but the drugs helped him to be pretty docile on the leash and we got to the Cabin with a minimum of fuss.  Here’s hoping he doesn’t squirm out of that new collar before we need it for the trip home.  He’s an expert at “losing” his collars – and trust me we’ve tried every kind I can find!  I wonder if I should have bought a spare…

So handsome in his new collar

Mr. Chitters showing off his new duds on the deck of the Cabin

Tomorrow, hopefully, I’ll be able to go get the cooler and the rest of my groceries, but for now that little bunk bed is all I can think about.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Friesen's Cabin Journal

Stories of A Little Cabin in the Woods

The Good Luck Duck

Stories of A Little Cabin in the Woods

Off the Beaten Path: Hikes, Backpacks, and Travels

"For heaven's sake (and for the Earth's), let's get it together. Get out there! Listen! The wild places will fill you up. Let them." Walkin' Jim Stoltz, 1953 - 2010


an experiment in off-grid living


How the hell did I get here?

Kurt's Quest

WELCOME!! Please take a few minutes to look around, make some comments, and enjoy!!!

The Blog of Otis


Spotted Dog Ranch

Stories of A Little Cabin in the Woods


Stories of A Little Cabin in the Woods

rvsue and her canine crew

Living on less and enjoying life more

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

%d bloggers like this: